Three women's observers were supported to attend the 27th PCB in Geneva, Switzerland between 6-8 December. This blog is a daily record of their experiences.

The World AIDS Campaign has funded 3 women's civil society observers to attend the 27th PCB Meeting. Shukria Gull is based in Pakistan and works with Pakplus Society with people living with HIV. Esther Gitau is based in Kenya and works with Nairobi Outreach Services particularly with people who use drugs. Talent Jumo works with Young Women's Leadership Initiative (now Katswe Sistahood) based in Zimbabwe working with young women on HIV related issues and gender based violence. Visit www.unaidspcbngo.org for more information on the UNAIDS Board and the NGO Delegates.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Introduction to Talent


My name is Talent Jumo and I work with the Young Women's Leadership Initiative (now Katswe Sistahood) based in Zimbabwe. Attending the UNAIDS Programme Coordinating meeting has been challenging and informative at the same time. Firstly, i am coming from a space where I have been asked so many questions if a young, black African woman from Southern Africa can really make an impact at the global level. I have been discouraged by those closest, but I believe that this struggle on HIV & AIDS is about me, my sister, my daughter and my mother, and hence when opportunities to sit at the table present, they should be embraced.

If I speak, my voice will be heard, better still, if I write, those that shall come after me shall read and sharpen their weapon to prepare further for this battle against women's oppression, HIV & AIDS, poverty, and other countless pathogies (both man-made and natural disasters).

I am not going to write about snow, which I am certainly experiencing for the first time, because that may not help my sisters that much (but maybe it may, if I inspire them enough to want to attend the next meeting). But I will dwell more on the deliberations of the day, as I experience them. The struggle continues for women and other marginalised groups. We surely will have to fight for our rights, for 'only the oppressed can free themselves from oppression, and in turn free their oppressors' {Paulo Freire- The Pedagogy of the Oppressed}

Talent Jumo
www.pepeta.org

1 comment: